Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Update

When Jessica and her friend were swarmed at the mall in January, I really didn't expect much to come of the subsequent police investigation. I thought that maybe the two girls involved (the girls that actually attacked Jessica and her pal, the others, three boys, just kind of stood around and acted as look out) would get a slap on the wrist.
Honestly, I was just happy that the police took us seriously enough to make a report and look for the girls. The mall security certainly didn't do much about the incident until they were notified by the police. They brushed my phone call off quickly enough.

One of the girls was sentenced on July 9 th (I am waiting to hear about the other offender) and she got 18 months probation, a two year weapons ban, and, best of all? She served 52 in custody.

I am shocked. Canada has been notoriously easy on it's young offenders. There is always a publication ban (no names or photos of anyone under 18), which I personally think is bullshit. I don't care about a kid that was popped for shoplifting a sweater or a can of food, but I do want to know if a violent kid is in my neighbourhood.
Wouldn't you like to know if there were a dangerous offender living on your street? Is a rapist any less dangerous if he/she is under 18?

There won't be any names published in this case. I know the girls names, I have not told anyone else who they are, but I am ok with that. I am hoping that this is a lesson enough for these two young ladies (I use that term very loosely) and that from now on they will think about the consequences before they act again. Fifty two days would be one heck of a deterrent for me, that's for sure.

I wonder if the five dollars was worth it?



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to hear when the system works for someone. It seems like all we ever about is the negative.
Congrats!

Maggie Mae

Anonymous said...

I am shocked, as well. You always hear about the youth that get a slap on thw wrist, but thhis is real justice, imo.
How does your daughter feel about it?

Peter Piper

Biddie said...

I am happy with the outcome, really.
Honestly, Coffeypot, I know their names, but I can't pronounce them. I think that these girls had the crap scared outta them, if nothing else.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog after googling info on the Canadian Justice system, and the Y.O.A.
I know that there have been recent changes to the YOA and the way that we treat minors in the criminal justice system. I used to think that the whole thing was a joke, and ultimately a waste of tax payers money.
It's good to know that we finally have a system for the youth that has some real teeth.
I agree that we don't need to know about a kid stealing an apple, but dangerous offeneders are something else altogether. That is aspect that I feel still needs to change. The Canadian public need to be made aware of violent youth in the neighbourhood.
It just makes sense to me.
Dale

Biddie said...

I forgot to tell you, Peter, that Jessica is pleased at the way things turned out. She feels safer now, knowing that safe guards are in place and that the police really do care about the youth in our community.

I had an update on the girl that I mentioned before. She not only has the weapons ban, the 18 month probabtion, and time served, but she also has to submit her dna to be kept in the databanks. When I asked why (she is only 15, the other girl is nearly 18) I was told that she (let's call her Edith) most likely has other violent charges on her record.
Now THAT is scary. At 15 she is already known to the police as violent youth. I feel all the more now that her name should be published. Sadly though, I have a feeling Edith will be heard from again, and again...
The second offender (Let's call her Faith) has a less strict sentence imposed. She has 18 months probation, but is not looking at any time in a facility.
She is required however to live at home (or she will be placed in a controlled environment) must either work or go to school, and absolutely MUST attend counselling.
I think that is the best part. If Faith and Edith are acting out, there must be a reason, right?
I hope that the therapist is a help for these kids and they move onward and upward...In Edith's case though, I am not holding my breath.
Btw, thanks for stopping in, Dale.
Drop in anytime :)

Kimber said...

Scary in every way. That's all I can say!

Rick Rockhill said...

sheesh, what's happening in this world anyway? isn't the mall even safe anymore?

Biddie said...

Kimber - Scary is putting mildly. When you think of things of like happening, you don't think of our city, do you? This is stuff that you read about in the papers, in bigcities, far, far, away. Not here, not to my baby.

Rick - That was pretty much the question I asked of the security guards at the mall.
They had no answer for me.

stinkypaw said...

Let's hope 52 days will be enough for her to learn her lesson...but somehow I have my doubts. At least she got more than just a little slap on the wrist.