Friday, June 16, 2006

Banana Creme Pie, and other reminders of my youth

I recently reconnected with an old friend.I haven't spoken to her in 12 years, it's been 13 since I've seen her.I found her on some cheesey 'take-your-money-to-find-a-friend,'site.
We were the best of friends.Sleepovers,prank phone calls,bike riding, and sun tanning were the order of the day.As we grew, she became my sounding board,my therapist, my safe place.I got sent away to another province(for my own good, of course), and things inevitably changed for us.
I had my first daughter at 18,Kimishka went to college.She studied business, I studied the business end of my baby girl.She bought a house,travelled, took classes.I took the bus,paid my rent,and once, 12 years ago , took a very informative flower arranging course.
We are so far apart now.She works full time,does creative work on the side(remind me to ask her what that means),spends weekends on her boyfriends parents dairy farm.
I drink milk.Sometimes.
She even takes salsa lessons(the dance, not the condiment).
What will we talk about?The Pirate Movie?Harrison Ford?(she used to send him b-day cards), the A-Team?Maybe we'll talk about soc hops at our old high school.(dancing in the dark , I melt with you,In a big country)...........
Will I even recognize her?Will she recognize me? I'm so nervous. Maybe we have nothing in common anymore.
I guess thst it's a chance that I'm willing to take.The older I get, the more I realize how important the people that helped to shape my life really are.
So here's to you, Kimishka.Can't wait to see you again.