Saturday, June 17, 2006

Goodbye, Pussycat

Tomorrow is father's day and I was going to write about that.A tribute to Dads everywhere, blah blah, blah.Then something happened.My favourite aunt died.I just found out a few hours ago.
This wasn't some elderly relative that you were obliged to visit.On the contrary.I looked forward to our time together,and spoke on the phone at least once a week.She was a handful at times, outspoken,loved Elvis, rye-and-pepsi,and her family.She had 2 children, a boy and a girl, and 2 grandkids, a boy and a girl.They were her pride and joy, every visit was another opportunity for her to brag about them.
She didn't get out much,so we tried to come to her.It wasn't easy without a car, but even the cold winter breezes weren't enough to deter us from the long bus ride.I loved her for so many reasons.
I am completely estranged from my Mum, Aunt Josie's sister.My relationship with the rest of the family is strained, at best.Since my parents divorced when I was so young, and my dad got custody,I didn't see much of that side of the family.Except for Aunt Josie.She babysat me.She made a point of staying in touch, even when I was too young to appreciate it.Aunt Josie and her kids, their families, made it a point invite me to all of their get togethers.Without her, I would have been lost.She has been a second Mom to me.
I had no idea how much our visits meant to her until this afternoon when I spoke to another aunt.She told me that my aunt loved our time together, bragged about my kids, bragged about me.Me!Can you believe it?Me!
I will miss our phone calls, her laughter,her bad jokes.I'll miss the way that she would tell it like it is,even if it meant pissing you off.
I will miss you, Aunt Josie.Thanks for everything.

2 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Long distance hugs to you.

(You described her perfectly.)

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank God for your memories, and that you took the time to stay in touch with her.

Praying for you.