Tuesday, May 01, 2007

New Readers And Old Friends


I have a new reader. Her name is Heather, and even though she is lurking, I know that she is here.



Heather and I went to Jr. high together in Dartmouth. She was from that neighbourhood, and I was from a whole other planet. Or so it seemed.

I had just recently arrived from Ontario, to live with my Mum, Betty, and her husband, Stan. I hadn't seen Betty in a couple of years, and I hadn't lived with her since I was about 3. It was not an easy transition, and I was VERY unhappy.

To make matters, worse, I had just finished my grade 9 year at the rural highschool outside of Smallburg, and now, I was repeating grade 9.

Everything was foreign to me. It really did seem like another planet. All of the kids at Ellenvale had grown up together, gone to grade school together, known each other forever.

Then, there was me. I didn't know a soul. My time in Nova Scotia had been spent thus far sitting on the front steps, or going to the library. Alone.

Well, there was ONE drunken night out, but I really can't recall much about that. Anyway, I diggress.

There was one girl that I thought was different. She looked cool, and nothing seemed to bother her. She came to school most days in tight dark blue jeans and concert t's. Heather rarely spoke up or smiled in class.(She has a great smile)I thought that she had it all worked out....

We didn't reallly hit it off until that summer. The summer of 1986. I was living with Shane and Blaine's family then, and Heather was a frquent visitor. We were inseperable. We became best friends.

We spent every moment that we could together. We went to nightclubs, and got kicked out together. In fact, it was Heather that kept me from climbling into a flashy limo one night outside of The Derby. I still owe her for that one. It was owned by a pimp that would have driven my ass out of town that night.....

The trouble that we got into! She was with me the night that the semi pro boxer attacked...THAT is a night that I will never forget. He had been stalking me for a couple of months, and on a hot night in August, as Heather, Shane, Blaine, Carla, Percy, and I were out walking, he found me. Come to think of it, if my kick boxing friend hadn't have been there, I might have been in a whole lotta trouble.

The truth is, she always had my back.

Heather and I had so much fun. Oh man....She was there the day that I broke my wrist,and we shared a giggle over that story yesterday. She was there when Betty and Stan kicked me out, and was there when I went back to pick up my stuff...Her mom fed me Kraft Dinner when I was hungry, and never complained when I crashed at her house. To this day, I think of Heather and her mom when I eat mac and cheese.

We had our falling outs, too. Mostly over boys - well, one boy in particular.

I moved back home in November of 1986. I wasn't going to stay here in Ontario, it was just supposed to be a visit. Well, I've been "visiting" for 21 years.

We have seen each other since I moved away. I've been home to Dartmouth twice. It's been 17 years, now.

I lost her address around the time that Shawn and I hooked up. I have missed her tremendously. I still think of those days. I think of the shopping trips, and the days spent by the lake. I think of the hearts that we broke, and the boys that broke ours. I remember talking all night, and sharing secrets with Heather, secrets that we were afraid to speak out loud in the light of day.

I found her on Facebook a few days ago. It was easy as heck. I saw a photo of her daughter, and I knew immeadiately that it was Heather and Blaine's girl. She is the spitting image of her mom.

It was easy to pick up where we left off. It always is with Heather. It doesn't matter how far apart we are, or how long it's been since we've seen each other. That bond is still there.

So, if you're feeling friendly, say hi to Heather. She's kind of quiet, but she's a hell of a friend.

27 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

There is nothing so precious as finding an old friend again and re-connecting.

Biddie said...

whimsical - Now we have to plan a trip...That's when the fun reallly starts..

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh, another beautiful story. Thank you.

(Hi Heather!! I've heard such good things about you!)

Biddie said...

Heidi - Heather has been asked to NOT tell you all about the real me from Those days. I have aske her not to shatter my image of a cool chick...

Heidi the Hick said...

pffff! I know you! That's why we relate- we're both incredibly cool and totally dorky at the same time!

Biddie said...

Heidi - Well, I know that you already know everything that there is to know....I am also mysterious, don't forget that.

Marni said...

Hi, Heather! Nice to meet you! Any friend of Biddie's....

captain corky said...

Hello Heather. My name is Corky and I'm Biddie's special friend.

Biddie said...

Marni - Well, that's mighty nice of you! I'm sure that one of these days, Heather will stop by and say hi...

Corky - Well Corky, you make me blush.

Momentary Madness said...

Quite uncanny; I was working on a possible post about my past: places friends, times et cetera, when I clicked on my comments box for a break and there you were in the past with you friends.
"There is a town in Ontario, strange comfort memories to share and in my mind I still need a place to go all my changes were there....helpless" C.S.N&Y.
Y:-) Paddy

CindyDianne said...

Howdy Heather!

Thanks for taking care of the girl that became this wonderful woman!

Biddie said...

paddy - some people say that I spend too much time in the past, but I think that without my past, I wouldn't be who I am today. All of it, the good, and the bad.
I can't wait to read your post!

cindydianne - Heather left a comment up top..I made a silly mistake yesterday, and I have a spot up top, too. Sh ereally is somethng else....

Michael Colvin said...

Hey Biddie that school photo is so "Breakfast Club" LoL! Thanks for this post, I love reading this stuff.

And a big hello to Heather and ignore Corky, Biddie said that it is me that is her special friend. :)

Biddie said...

Tod - You KNOW that are my special friend!
I guess that it is abit Breakfast Club..LOL Can you find me? Look for the child bearing hips.....Oh, and Heather is the one that is Pretty In Pink...

Michael Colvin said...

I just spotted the guy in the back with the Japanese sunrise tee. LoL! Thank God we had to wear school uniform and there's no photographic evidence. LoL!

Michael Colvin said...

err...that's not you is it?

LOL!!!!

Biddie said...

Tod - LMAO!!! NO that isn't me! I am in the front row with the GIRLS.

Look for the girl with the big hips.......And the winning smile...

Michael Colvin said...

me again...I was so busy laughing I meant to type, "I had one of those tee's, thank God there's no evidence.

I think I might be drunk.

Biddie said...

Tod -LOL...I wish that we could be drunk together...It sounds like you're having fun..
NO photographic evidence? How about, oh say, a sketch?

ldbug said...

That is so sweet!! I'm glad you guys reconnected:-)

Biddie said...

ldbug = So am I! Have you figured out which one is me?

katy said...

its great catching up with old friends, Hi Heather, don't listen to any of the above it is me who is Biddies specail friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOUR DINNERS said...

Howdo Heather. Stop lurkin' babe n say hello again to Biddie eh?

Biddie said...

her indoors - Wow...I can't get over all of the love! You are ALL mt special friends!

4D - Heather left a couple of comments up top there....I think that we'll be seeing more of her.

Gardenia said...

Hi Heather - come on in, jump in all the ay - what a great group of folks here -

Biddie said...

gardenia - We are a great bunch of folks, aren't we? Heather left some comments up top there...I think that she'll be around more. I hope so.

Princess Banter said...

What a wonderful post! I recently just reunited with a good high school friend, and though it hasn't been as long as yours has been, it was still a brilliant feeling walking down memory lane with her. Congratulations on finding Heather again *waves to Heather* :)