Friday, May 25, 2007

I made it to my appointment yesterday, with time to spare, thanks to Lynn. She picked me in a taxi,waited for me, took me out for coffee afterwards, and then dropped me off again. I honestly don't know if I would have made it, otherwise. Shawn couldn't take any time off, and I really didn't have anyone else to go with.

I still can't pronounce the doc's name, but I think that I will like him. I sat in this amazing over sized chair that reminded me of a throne, and I felt immeadiately comfortable. It wasn't clinical in the least, thank goodness. I think that would have been too much for me. This was more like sitting in a comfortable living room than a shrinks office.

It took forever to get my family history. He was confused about my FORMER MIL coming with me, and didn't understand WHY I didn't know where my Mum lives. (Betty)
You should have seen him scribbling away at his little flow chart!

Dr. Shrink put me on a mood stabilizer, and I go back in 3 weeks to get an anti depressant. I also got a lecture on healthy eating habits and late night snacking. The meds are supposed to promote weight loss, too, so I'm all for it.

I guess that in the end, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I still haven't had the chance to tell him about most of my issues, and I am dreading dealing with it all. I do feel better. This is just a baby step, but it is a step forward.

14 comments:

katy said...

well done biddie, glad you came through, one step at a time girl

whimsical brainpan said...

Hey, you made that first step and that is something to be proud of! Therapy is not easy but it is worth it.

CindyDianne said...

Bravo! Nice that you had a cool chair instead of a sofa!

Heidi the Hick said...

I feel really good about this!

You know what Corky said up there? Yeah, me too!

And this from me, who sort of kind of DID tell my pshrink to do that.

It sounds like your Dr. Shrink is much more helpful than my former Dr. Frankenbushy.

Molly said...

You are on your way. You have indeed moved forward.

Biddie said...

her indoors - Thank you, thank you! (taking a bow)

whimsical - I know that therapy is worth it..I do. I have been through it SO many times before, with so many different shrinks, counsellors, therapists, spiritual advisors...It was just hard to make that 1st step again, you know? You're right tho, well worth it in th end.

Cindydianne - Thank you! The chair was great, and I am looking forward to hanging out there again!

Corky - I am hoping that I won't have to tell him to go fuck himself. I had a counsellor, years ago, when Rudi and I were married...Her name was Colleen. She actually told me that Rudi wouldn't hit me, yell at me, be mean to me, if I didn't piss him off.
I eventually told her where to go!
And, btw..Thanks.

Heidi - I think that I will get along ok with this guy. I am not thrilled with the cost of the meds, but everything else is aok, so far. Feeling good!

mjd - baby steps, but I think that I am on my way. :)

Momentary Madness said...

One step at a time. I know it's easy to say and I know how hadr it can really be. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Yours;-) Paddy

Marni said...

At least you are making those baby steps. I'm proud of you!

Camie Vog said...

I knew you could do it! I am proud of you, Biddie.

Coffeypot said...

At least you are doing something about how you feel. I tried the therapy bit a few years back, but my life was so screwed up that HE ended up in therapy. I can't do that to another shrink, so I just kick the dog and pee in the back yard with the other dogs. I won't be written up in any medical journals, but it works for me.

Anonymous said...

well done bid, my heart goes out to you, I am on anti depressents, and mood stablizers.
But the meds I am make me gain weight, damn I want to swop em' to the ones your on.

dilling said...

good for you!!!!
it's that first step that is the hardest....isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Much hugs hun, you took the first step. any meds that help your mood without putting weight on should be made available world wide. :)

Gardenia said...

I'm glad you liked the therapist/doc - it makes a difference. I always tell people if it doesn't fit, keep looking.

Hang on and be brave. I went through a few years of a wild ride in my forties. Was too miserable to go back or stay in place, had to move on or go bonkers. All the puzzle pieces came together, now I guess it's just getting the glue in the cracks and getting it dried to hold it all together.

Its an awesome thing, the quest for wholeness! When ya stop and think - those that never go on the quest just continue on and make everyone else miserable too. Then those of us that want more in life have to go to therapy to cope with the damage from the first bunch.

Tired and babbling. Take care.