Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Flyaway Home

I have the most wonderful memories of my time spent in N.S. The friends that I made were one of a kind. There were so many people from Ellenvale J.H. that made my life bearable.
Heather and I became the best of friends. Heather lived with her mom,sister,brother in law,and baby nephew.I fell in love the baby, and envied her family. I missed my sblings terribly,even though we mostly hated each other.
Life with Betty and Stan had reached a boiling point,culminating in a swift departure of their home. All of my family was in Ontario,I had no where to go.Enter Blaine and family. I hid away at a friends of theirs for a few days. It was like the witness protection program minus the government funding.Without Betty watching over me, I was gloriously FREE.
At the Twins house,there were little or no rules.We moved around alot,and we were often in charge of the 3 younger kids, other than that.....Freedom.
Heather was at our house,or I was at hers. We got into all kinds of trouble, she and I.We used to sit outside on the lawn of one of our classmates, listening to his garage band.They would play Cosmetics by Gowan, and we'd be pretending that it WAS Gowan. We raided gardens at night,stealing the lettuce and cukes to take home for my adopted family. Then there was the "shopping" that we did at night...It usually involved someone's clothesline and one of us jumping like jackrabbits to reach the freshly laundered clothes.Don't hate me. Things were difficult back then.We sometimes went days without a real meal.Heathers mom always had Kraft Dinner for us.She was my saviour.
Blaine and I broke up. Many times.Ohmygod, but I loved him. When I decided to go back to Ontario for a "visit", he asked me not to go.He refused to see me off at the train station on that cold November morning.I'll never forget the way that he looked at me,the lump in my throat,or the pounding of my heart.
"Please,don't go...I love you, I always have."He took my hand,brushed the flyaway hair out of eyes.
"I'll be back.I promise." I was crying now,standing on the front steps of the little house that we had shared.
We weren't even officially back together.I loved him,more than anything or anyone. He was so much more than a boyfriend.Blaine,Shane,Heather,C.J.,they were all a part of me now.They would be, forever.
Besides, I'd be back,wouldn't I?

2 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Now I've got a lump in my throat. Because I have this impending feeling that you DIDN'T GO BACK.

No way, seriously, Gowan? That part is funny.

Biddie said...

Heidi- A part of me actually misses those days.Don't be too sad,I did see Blaine again......