Monday, July 10, 2006

Starting Over, Again

My trip home took 27 1/2 hours.We had a stop over in Montreal, and I felt very grown up, travelling and seeing the sights on my own.27+ hours gives you a lot of time to think.
I had been gone for over a year.That's a long time. Things can change in a year. People can change. Would everyone and everything in my small town be the same? Would my family and friends rejoice in my return? In my mind I saw ticker tape parades and loved ones waving banners at the train station. I would be like the prodigal son returning home,triumphant.
Yeah.
I was met at the train station by my Dad. I didn't realize how much I missed him until I saw him standing there.I had hoped for some dad/daughter time, but it didn't exactly go down like that. His best bud was there, too, and dominated most of the conversation on the way home. Oh well. At least it was a ride.
Coming home wasn't much better. My room had been taken over by my little sister. I slept in the basement. It felt like any trace of me had been wiped away from the family home. My 2 brothers barely noticed me, and, I thought, may not have even realized that I was ever gone. Nice.
When I finally did get sometime alone with my Dad,it was to lecture me. He felt that I was "partying my life away" in Nova scotia, instead of going to school. What? I had 3 jobs waiting for me back east.
My oldest brother, TMOC,stuck a deal with my Dad. I was going to move in with him and his amazonian gal-pal,and go to school. My Dad would pay my rent, and I would pay for my own expenses.
I had even more to think about now.Back in N.S,I had a life. MY life,friends, a new family. In Ontario I had family, roots, my history. I loved my life in Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia had been good to me. In Nova Scotia, I had Blaine.
Ohgodohgod....I was scared as hell,I didn't want to make anymore life altering decisions on my own. I was 17 for crying out loud. 17......
The choice was clear to me. For better or worse, I would be staying. I needed my family,a real home,I needed to graduate highschool. This was a 2nd chance for me, and I wasn't going to blow it.

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

They gave her your room? That would be a very unwelcome feeling. They really gave you a mixed message: you're up to no good here, go out east. You're up to no good out east, get back here.

You know you've broken that pattern with your own kids.

Biddie said...

Hey, a new comment? Someone else reads this?

Biddie said...

hopefully, things are different with MY girls. i would never want them to feel unwelcome, or displaced.....